Disability Planning

When someone becomes incapacitated, it is critical to have another family member or professional who can make health care and financial decisions for the incapacitated person.  The professionals at Carlin & Shapiro, P.A. will work closely with you and your family to make sure that someone has the authority to make these decisions.  Such planning may be done in advance through the preparation of health care advance directives, financial powers of attorney, trusts and nominations in wills.  If no advance planning has been done, then the professionals at Carlin & Shapiro, P.A. can assist you in filing petitions in the probate court for the appointment of a guardian or conservator.  The professionals at Shapiro, P.A. will also work with guardians, conservators and agents to assist them in fulfilling their responsibilities. This can involve MaineCare planning techniques to the filing of inventories and accountings.  In contested matters, the professionals and Carlin & Shapiro, P.A. are experienced in zealously and efficiently representing our clients in the probate court.